Friday, December 2, 2011

3 under 3

So the title of this post is for my brother. We always laugh when people say that phrase and talk about life being so hard, blah blah blah. Does it not drive anyone else crazy? Even though my family fits that phrase right now for another 27 days, you won't have to worry about me saying that and complaining about it because that is how I wanted it to be. I love having my kids close in age.

I thought I'd give an update on how things are going. No surprise here, I'm tired. But what am I doing right now even though my baby is sleeping? Blogging. I should probably be sleeping right along with her since its 10pm. Oh well. I actually feel the most tired in the middle of the night when I'm up feeding her. All I think about is, "Come on, hurry up and eat so I can go back to sleep. I'm sooo tired!! I just want to sleeeep!" But then once the day begins I'm fine. I remember when I had just Bella and I just wanted to sleep all day long and I couldn't imagine having any more kids because how would I stay awake. But you really have no other choice so you just keep chuggin along, haha. 

A lot of people told me that the transition from 2 to 3 kids is the hardest, but it has been totally fine so far. Having preschool twice a week helps so I can do my grocery shopping with only 2 kids still, and getting errands done with just the 2. I did manage one day going grocery shopping with 3 kids and basically, it  looked ridiculous, ha. Two in the cart and a baby on top. Lets just say I got lots of smiles that day. It also easier this time because Bella and Gaines have each other to play with. Before Bella needed a lot more attention when Gaines was born since she didn't have anyone else, but now, her and Gaines are best buds so they play really well together. It's really nice since I seem to be sitting on  the couch half the day nursing!

My sister had her 4th baby 10 days after Tinley arrived and when I thought of coming home from the hospital and having to take care of FOUR kids, it seemed super overwhelming to me. Yikes! I think we'll be waiting awhile for our 4th :) I think the transition from 3 to 4 will be the hardest.

There are still plenty of melt downs from my older two, timeouts, screaming for no good reason from my Gainer boy, me losing patience, but that is normal and my weakness! I don't stress though this time when Tinley starts crying when I'm helping the other two. I obviously don't let her scream for a long time and get to her as soon as I can, but sometimes it has been good in that she just falls asleep. I've become very good at doing anything while nursing. I think the hardest thing with 3 is that someone always needs something. You sit down, and one asks or crys for something. Overall though, it is going really well. 

Bella still loves her to pieces and thinks everything about her is cute. She's constantly saying she has the cutest...you name it. She always wants to hold her and kiss her but I've had to tell her no lately since she's been sick. Gaines also really likes her even though he could still care less to hold her. He will randomly go up to her and start rubbing his head against hers snuggling her, or kiss her, and even share his favorite toy, his lightning mcqueen car. That's how I know he really loves her, ha.

Dave had a week off when she was born and I'd have to say that was the best week ever! We are not going to have that for awhile again since he is a resident and we soaked up every minute. This is the first baby too where Dave actually got time off. Before he was in school when the other kids were born. We didn't go anywhere, but stayed home, stayed in pajamas most days, and just enjoyed being together as a family. I can't express how fun it was. Usually when you have time off, you plan a trip and go somewhere, but it was nice just staying home. How often do we do that? For us hardly ever! The kids were in heaven with Dave home as was I, and that first day back I was a little nervous. But it's always nice too to get back to normal and figure out your routine.

I then had the week with just me and the kids, and then my mom came and visited this past week. She was really helpful in entertaining my kids, or just holding the baby so I could play with the other two, cleaning, and, I got to sleep in every morning! The kids loved having her. Gaines wouldn't even come in my room when he woke up, he would just go straight to her door and open it up! I thought that was funny. 

Tinley has been our best new born sleeper so far. She is really good at doing 3 hour chunks, which my other two were always 1-2 hours, and she has given us a few FIVE hour stretches at night. Heaven!! I was basically a new woman!

Anyway, just wanted to write real fast how its going with 3. Now its off to bed!...for a few hours.



5 comments:

Karen said...

I love hearing how you're taking it in stride. I love that you're not saying it's the easiest thing in the world, but it's where are right now, so you're just embracing it. That's wonderful. I hope I can be as good at embracing whenever #3 decides to come to our house.

Criscell said...

So glad you're doing okay! Sounds like you're adjusting just fine. Hang in there! Hopefully sooner than later she'll be sleeping through the night. Hey, I need to get your address so I can send you a Christmas card!

Lora Gooch said...

Heather I'm exhausted just reading that entry!

Sarah and Wes said...

Wow, I related to so many things in this post even though I'm just working on getting two kids down :) I've noticed that nights are hard and I'm so tired in the middle of them, but once daytime hits, I'm fine. Also, it's not as hard for me to let Easton cry if I'm doing something for West or trying to get his bottle ready. With West, I would have been so flustered if he was screaming. Glad three under three is working out for you! :)

Dani said...

So great to hear Heather! Everyone has been telling me the same thing - that 3 is the hardest and that everything changes with number three. I have thought the same thing, that it will be so nice for T & B to have each other to play with!!! That is huge. So happy for you guys. Love the pic on Tinley on your side bar. What a doll and FIVE hours at night!! Blessed child :)