Monday, October 22, 2012

Chicago trip part 2

 The next day we started off by taking much needed updated pictures of our family. His sister usually takes ours because she has a nice camera, and much thanks to her! We sure needed her last year, you know why if you saw our Christmas card!
 I was a little nervous since that morning was the coldest it had been by far, probably 40's when we took these, and last year the kids cried through every picture because it was freezing then too. We seem to choose the coldest and windiest days to take pictures. I bribed the kids with fruit snacks to take their coats off and smile when the time came. You'd have never know it was freezing. They did awesome thank goodness b/c we weren't going to do it again!

 After taking these and seeing them I remember how much I hate me sitting on his lap in pictures since I look like a giant on his lap. Dave was DONE by this point. Yea I said Dave. He doesn't really love doing pictures, haha. But it was too beautiful to pass up this area. It was trees and trees all with BRIGHT yellow leaves. It was lit up from all the yellow, beautiful.
 My cute girls
 Handsome boys - the color needs adjusting but its too late for that right now! I'm tired.

 We then later that day took an architectural boat tour downtown- indoors where it was warm. It was pretty awesome seeing and hearing about all the buildings, however it was an hour and a half, and probably a half hour too long. I think we all stopped listening after an hour.

Then that night we met up with our friends the Clarks for some famous Giordanos pizza. It never disappoints. 

Another late night 3 days in a row now. Our poor kids. They were such troopers all day every day, until the hotel where each night they lost it from sheer exhaustion. Actually now that I think about it, Bella never lost it. It was Gaines and Tinley. All 3 were sick coughing, booger nosed, and at the very end of the trip, goopy eyes. We had a rough night every.single. night. Gaines would wake up screaming at some point every night, wants nothing to do with Dave, but then would wake up Tinley from screaming so loud, which then brought her in our bed just so she could go back to sleep, which meant not very good sleep for Dave and me. Bella some how slept through all the chaos, with Gaines seated right next to her on the pull out. I love that she is a hard sleeper. I had some serious flashbacks of when we spent a month in Seattle and had the worst sleep of our lives thanks to Gaines. I felt so awful to put them through that, especially when they were sick. I think Tinley slept 8 hours total one night, when she only had one short nap that day, when normally she gets 12-14 a night with two 1-3 hour naps in the day. But when its a trip with family and so much to do, we just bite the bullet to have fun for a few days and know it will all go back to normal once we get home! I also hated that everyone got to see Tinley at her worst when she normally is so happy! 

It was a really fun trip though despite the whole sleep situation!
Then the next day was probably my favorite. We relaxed in the morning while the kids played outside and Tinley napped. Then we headed to downtown Chicago again, and took the scenic route down Lakeshore Dr, definitely a site to see - so beautiful, especially because it was such a clear sunny day. I was in awe the whole time. 

We parked then walked to different shops. First stop was Nike town that was I think 5 stories. Amazing. The only problem was the Chicago marathon had just happened that morning so everyone and their mom was in that store getting stuff. They have a level dedicated to just "Nike Run" stuff. 

We went to some others and last stopped at the American Doll store. When you walk in it is like every little girls dream.This picture can not even do it justice. It was the cutest store and I think 3 levels of dolls and outfits and everything a little girl would want. I loved it and Bella then decided she wanted one of those dolls. Maybe one day not on a residents salary. :)
But it sure was fun to look at.


 Gaines was confused when I said we were going to the "doll store". He kept thinking I was saying "dollar store" so he got excited. But then quickly crushed when we walked in. He was bound determined to find the boy stuff in that store. I was like, "Ummm I hate to break it to you Gaines but I don't think you will find any boy stuff in here!" Luckily Aunt Shannon knew there was a lego shop upstairs and she took him to that where he was first introduced to legos!
After getting some Garrett's popcorn to snack on before dinner, we headed to the best restaurant in China town. If you go to China town, you must make a stop here. Best service and food.

To top off dinner we got those slushy fruit drinks with tapioca balls, picked up some High Chew candies on the way out and got to bed at a decent hour that night and the kids SLEPT that night. Perfect day. I didn't want to have to say goodbye the next day. 

Right when we got home to Michigan the next night, Dave took Gaines and Bella straight to urgent care to get some eye drops for what we thought was pink eye. Got the drops, but after a few days we saw no improvement. My mom got to town the following day and we welcomed her with cold weather and sick grumpy kids! She was pretty excited about that I think. Seriously we have never seen Gaines act as terrible as he did when she was here. So sorry mom!

I took the kids to the doctor when my mom was here and they both had double ear infections and the doctor didn't think it was pink eye, just like that from their colds and ear infections. Once they got on antibiotics they all quickly healed up. I love that they make the medicine taste like candy these days so when I tell my kids its time for medicine they get excited like I just offered them a bowl of ice cream.

I should have clued in they had ear infections when Gaines was talking really loudly and there was no "quiet voice", then I ask him one morning if he wants a smoothie and his response is, "Yea I want to watch a movie!" Then with Bella we were driving in the car and Gaines says, "What's that guy pulling?" My mom says, "He's pulling a hose." Bella says, "He's pulling a horse!? Where?" 
Yea, their hearing was off!

Anyway, I'm so glad we were able to see Dave's parents and Shannon's family. We have missed them like crazy since we moved. Once we were together it felt like no time had even passed. We love you guys so much! 

Next post..my mom's visit.

No comments: