Friday, November 29, 2013

Power outage

 So two Sundays ago as I'm preparing dinner, the lights flickered once and it was super windy out. I thought, I better hurry this dinner up in case the power goes out. Well just as I finish cooking and we are dishing up the kids plates, the power goes out. It was pitch black too so we had to feel our way around for a flashlight. The kids loved it and it was fun for them having a candlelit/flashlight dinner. They then requested a dance party. I love that that is one of the first things they want to do. Our kids sure love to dance! We put them to bed and no biggie, we didn't think it would be out that long. We were so bummed because I had been totally looking forward to watching the big game of the weekend, Broncos vs Chiefs. No luck though. No power back on and so we got in our beds at 7:30 and just read a book.
 The hard thing that night was Tinley. She refuses to wear a blanket any night, and apparently even when her room is 50 degrees. She woke up about 3 times in the night and no matter how much we tried to put more layers or blankets on her, she wouldn't leave them on. She is so STUBBORN sometimes!! I felt horrible that her little feet were like frozen blocks of ice and even when I tried to bring her in our bed she threw a fit and didn't want to. She finally gave in at 5:30am and lied next to me frozen and I warmed her up and she fell right to sleep. Poor thing was freezing.
  By morning, still no power. I opted the next morning for all of us to just sleep in because it was freezing and I felt bad getting Bella ready for school in the freezing cold! So we stayed snuggled up and warm in our beds all morning. It was fine during the day when the sun was out. We just did our normal routine as if nothing was different. It was just cold after the sun went down at 5 oclock and got dark. (You wouldn't believe how many times I walked into the bathroom and turned the light switch on! You would think I would learn.)
 With no power on still that night we began to get rather annoyed. The thing I always worry about the most is our food. I was really glad our Saturday before was really busy because if it hadn't been I would have done a big Costco trip. It was really cold this night too. One thing I am really grateful for, and always will be, is the visiting teaching program in our church. I love how we each have people we watch over, and that mine did. We had dinner that night from them and they brought over this heater that didn't need plugging in. So so thoughtful!! And, Tinley finally gave in and let us put a blanket on her. 
We were told our power should be on around 11pm that night. Throughout the night I seemed to wake up a few times listening to see if our heater had kicked on, but nothing. Morning and STILL no power! Ugh! Luckily we have a gas stove so I cranked that up and that actually warmed it up some.I had no patience that morning though getting Bella ready for school. I began thinking it was never coming on. Ok, that is ridiculous because so many people in the world during disasters go without power for weeks, and I know it had only been a few days, but when you hear that all the neighborhoods around you have power except your neighborhood, it gets a little frustrating. Then to top it off all my food was turning soft and it was time to clear it out and find other places to put it. On the bright side that morning that got me out of my funk, was I had lots of people calling and offering coolers, or fridge space, and us to come over and hang out at their house for the day. Have I mentioned I love our church? People are always so willing to help when you need it. Even though it was annoying, it felt good to get my fridge really clean ;) We had lots of errands that day so we were gone most the day. We then heard it could be another day or two before we got power! However, late that afternoon I was up in my room when all of a sudden it came on. Funny how that simple thing could make me sooo happy. Aw it felt so good. It felt good to be warm again and get our house back in order. Apparently this outage was the biggest here in Michigan since...a really long time ago. I forgot the year, but it was awhile ago :)



So nice when I got to put all these away!

No comments: